Friday, March 09, 2007

Dialogue 3

Wimps! They're all going for the EASY scene . . . now, the nun scene takes guts . . . and as both a Catholic and a watcher of The Sound of Music when I was 14, I'm qualified.


"Grab a cup of coffee?” Maria gestured to a small corner café across the street.

The man grinned and shook his head. “Sorry, gave it up for Lent.”

Maria thought guiltily of the other nuns back at St. Mary-of-the-Interstate-Bypass, praying constantly until Easter brought the joyful resurrection and ended their vigil. They probably weren’t drinking coffee either.

“Hey.” The man punched her arm lightly. “Doesn’t mean you can’t get a cup. Come on, let’s go.”

As they walked out of the sun and into the cool, dim interior of the café, Maria asked, “Do you have a name?”

He paused in front of the pastry case; his gaze was like that of a young boy in a candy shop. “You can call me John.” The corners of his mouth tugged into another appealing grin as he pressed a finger against the glass. “I shouldn’t have one, but if I did, that would be the one.”

Maria caught the elderly café assistant’s attention. “Excuse me? What is that pastry?”

The assistant knelt and looked where Maria was pointing. “That one? Oh, we call it the Papa Pastry, in honor of the Pope’s birthday this week.”

John made a small noise halfway between a sob and gag.

“Are you all right?” Maria grabbed his arm, steadying him. He stared at her with wide eyes and she suddenly realized that beneath the hat, fake beard, and debonair grin, the face that looked back at her looked rather like the current Pope’s. “I’m such an idiot!" she cried. "I always fall for men my Father says I shouldn’t have!!!!”

--Maggie Stiefvater Hilarious!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This stuff hurts my head. -V95

writtenwyrdd said...

Funny!