Sunday, July 13, 2008

Horror Story 10

From the woods Evil could see a dim light in the kitchen of the small cabin and a woman’s silhouette crossing in front of the glass. He recognized her right away. She was the same woman he’d followed from the city, across three counties and to this little place of hers far off the main roads. She was singing by the stove and dancing to tunes that emanated from an old 1950s radio he’d seen on the counter before. Through an open window above the sink the radio crackled shards of music and rumbled static into the uninhibited clear night air. Evil watched her every move as he climbed a nearby power pole, considering his options.

“Taking her sweet time, isn’t she?” he thought. Contempt poured through him as he reached into his bag for the wire cutters. The woman continued to trifle about unaware. A grin spread cross Evil’s contorted face as he stretched forward to snap the lines. In an instant the little cabin went dark and quiet. Evil descended and moved in on the house for a better look.

She was sitting at her desk now, and Evil could hear fierce keyboard tapping.

“Oh, so now she’s taking me seriously...” Through the tattered curtains he could just make out her face illuminated by the light of a battery powered laptop that lay across her knees.

Then, he saw it, and fury finally overtook him. Evil jumped to his feet and slammed through the cabin door.

“Did you think I wouldn’t notice the satellite Wi-Fi card? Did you?” Evil’s ragged chops flopped in rhythm to every flare of vitriol that spewed forth. “You’re on the Internet. And...you’re blogging AGAIN! Give me that card. I need published minions to ensure my evil legacy and you’re the best shot I’ve got.

“Evil, it’s you...I never dreamed—”

“What – that I would be chasing my promising minions across the world to see that they finish their novels instead of wasting valuable writing time on my blog?”

“Well, yes, that – and that your ears were so very large, as well...”

--Wendy

8 comments:

Dave F. said...

AHA, the real story. I like it. I like it.

fairyhedgehog said...

This one was wholly unexpected. Maybe EE isn't quite so evil after all.

Anonymous said...

This hit me much funnier on the re-read! Enjoyed.

ME

freddie said...

If only I had EE around to kick my ass . . .

WouldBe said...

What novel? We're supposed to be writing? Is that in the blog EULA?

--Bill H.

ril said...

Oh my goodness. The true horror of actually having to do some work. In a minute. Not just now. Just got to read this...

talpianna said...

Loved the bit about the ears.

Kiersten said...

This was GREAT, Wendy!