Sunday, September 28, 2008

Talking Dog 2

Slowly waking up, I groaned. The memories of the last few hours came rushing back—the trip to the emergency room, the massive internal bleeding, the surgery. I wanted to stay asleep.

Someone was leaning over the bed, watching me. “How are you feeling?” a deep, slightly odd voice asked. I focused my blurry vision.

“What the…” Clearly I was not lucid. I was staring into a pair of warm, chocolate eyes. Eyes that belonged to a dog.

“Well?” he prompted.

“Umm, where is the nurse?” I asked, not wanting to be rude.

“Oh, she’ll be back. I’m Grisham; I’ll watch over you for a bit.”

“Grisham…” I muttered. Suddenly it clicked. “Grisham! You’re EE’s dog!”

He nodded pleasantly. “I understand you’ve had some bad luck lately, and I wanted to help. I’m going to read your manuscript.”

A tear dropped from the corner of my eye. “Oh, really?” I said. “That means so much to me! Thank you!”

“So, where is it?” he asked.

“Where is…wait, where is my manuscript?” I peered down at the flimsy hospital gown I was wearing. I didn’t even have shoes, much less a copy of my book. “Well, given the rush this morning, I don’t have it here.” He sighed. I continued quickly, “But I can email it to you!”

Giving me a flat look, he held up one blunt paw. “I’m not exactly made for typing.”

“You’re not exactly made for talking, either,” I said, desperate. He lowered himself and started walking away.

“You can’t do this to me!” I called, trying and failing to sit up. “It’s evil!”

“Like master like pup,” he shrugged, turning the corner and disappearing.

Overwhelmed with losing so much blood and my one shot at publication, I slipped back into welcome oblivion.

--Kiersten

7 comments:

Kiersten said...

This was funnier to me yesterday. Clearly still not getting enough oxygen to my brain.

WouldBe said...

It's a dog-eat-writer world out there, K. Good one.

Bill H.

Anonymous said...

A tear dropped from the corner of my eye. “Oh, really?” I said. “That means so much to me! Thank you!”

“You can’t do this to me!” I called, trying and failing to sit up. “It’s evil!”

“Like master like pup,” he shrugged, turning the corner and disappearing.


This was funny! I've selected a few of my favorite quotes and posted them above. Thanks K!

Meri

Dave F. said...

cruel doggie, mean doggie. Funny story.

Sarah Laurenson said...

It's funny to me today.

I love the whole wasted opportunity and expectation that you carry your ms everywhere - even bleeding to death at the hospital.

Good one!

Whirlochre said...

This is fun — and I love the idea of EE sending Grisham to 'do the rounds', like a familiar.

Whirlochre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.