Sunday, October 26, 2008

Scary Story 4

video


The darkling night closed 'round us tight as we sat beside the flame.
Anon's voice fell low as it croaked out slow, "From then on, Three Fingers was his name."
The horror! A shiver stabbed my spine at that anticipated line
And it was very real my fright confronted by that story trite --
Not at all like mine.

"Firebird, you're next; read us your text," Ril politely cued.
Ready was I to terrify with writing that really shook.
"The stormy night was not so bright and torrential rain espewed."
The minions moaned and the minions groaned, and I knew I had them hooked.

"On a lonely road in the countryside, a couple side by side
Saw a woman in white in their headlight bright who asked them for a ride."

"Prom Night!" cried Chris with pride, and Sarah deeply sighed.
"No, they passed her by," I quick denied, "since they knew her for a ghost.
Then they ran upon a tattooed man, with baggage much engrossed."

"Ax Killer!" Pete pronounced, and Blogless snorted beer.

"No, they knew enough to heed advice, and from strangers to steer clear.
But in a graveyard overgrown, standing by a great tombstone
They came upon a creature lone, flesh hanging from its bone."

"Zombie," Robin, yawning, said, and my heart went cold in dread.
Was there nothing new to these minions' ears? Did my words lie cold and dead?

Suddenly a shot rang out, and the minions spun about.
And who should we see but a crazed EE, an editor cruel and stout.
Through the woods he crashed as his red pen flashed in the face of the rising moon.
Forward he dashed then downward slashed, putting our words to ruin.
Our manuscripts bled red with ink, their insides soundly panned,
And we saw our dreams, amid the screams, be crushed beneath his hand.

--Phoenix

13 comments:

freddie said...

I love this! The poetry reminds me of Gothic horror. Great reading!

fairyhedgehog said...

You read this so beautifully. I loved it, especially the last line.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Poetry and horror. Is your last name Poe?

Wonderful reading!

Robin S. said...

Wow - this was fantastic, Firebird!

Seriously.

blogless troll said...

This is wonderful. Great job Firebird.

WouldBe said...

Good job, Phoenix!

ChrisEldin said...

This is nothing short of brilliant, it truly is. You wrote something else in rhyme, I think it was a take-off of The Raven, and it stuck in my head for a long time.
Your reading was beautiful.
You have a natural gift--Poenix!!
Very, very nice.

Anonymous said...

Damn! I wish I could hear these! I'm finally going to get High-Speed next week, and I think this (and Dave's and BT's, et al) are worth going back and listening. Loved it as a written piece.

Meri

Dave F. said...

I'm glad to see that someone else found rhyme and meter while they read the story. It's harder to write but the story is richer for it. Very, very good, and it saves the horror until the end.

pjd said...

I love this, totally love it. And very nicely read.

ril said...

Lovely. Very neo-Classical. Excellent.

talpianna said...

You have done us all a great Service!

Really good--both the text and the reading. Who knew we had so many brilliant narrators among us?

wendy said...

Now we have a "Twas the Night Before Christmas" for Halloween - minion style. Nicely done.