Sunday, February 22, 2009

Snow Job 5

Evil Editor wiped his brow. "I'm starving," he said. "Look, we've got to face reality. There's no food. It's better that one of us survive than none. Are you willing to sacrifice yourself for the good of yours truly?"

"Aren't you jumping the gun a bit?" Hannibal responded. "I mean, we only ran out of food at lunchtime. Hell, you've still got bread crumbs on your jacket."

"I'm jumping the gun? You were advocating cannibalism before the snow even started, Lecter."

"Mmmm. I still say we should have roasted one of the writers in your class. With some fava beans and a nice--"

"Yeah, yeah. Isn't it time you came up with a new line?"

The door swung open, admitting one of EE's minions.

"Dinner is served," Lecter commented.

"Where is everybody?" the minion asked.

"You just missed 'em," EE said. "Where've you been hiding?"

"I was in the conservatory working on my query letter. I'm trying to come up with a way to say "work of unrivaled genius" without sounding like I'm blowing my own horn. Any ideas?"

"I'll help you with that later," EE answered. "Right now, how about coming in the kitchen with me. I'm preparing an afternoon snack, and I need you to give me a hand."

--Evil Editor

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that closing line! And you couldn't have picked a better celebrity to enhance the "cannibal" theme!

Meri

Dave F. said...

we only ran out of food at lunchtime

No time like the right time and the time is now... Deeply philosophic.

McKoala said...

Eeeew.

Whirlochre said...

Returning to the premise, I like the idea that Hannibal Lecter has jetted off to a mouuntain resort for a spot of ski-ing.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Oohhh. Very nice. Love the celebrity you've got here, too.