Sunday, May 24, 2009

Talk Show 6

"Thank you for joining us Mr. Editor. I've been searching my mind for a classic to discuss with you. I decided to choose one for which I had great admiration and wanted new insight."

"Pleased to be here. I'm sure I could give new insight into anything you choose."

"I'm keen on discussing Ibsen's wonderful play, _A Doll's House_. With the improved but still fledgling new roles of women today, I wonder what fresh insights the play offers. I note particularly that the play was careful to characterize women in all levels of society equally in the issues of their roles.

"Yes, excellent question. Let me ponder that a moment....Um...."

"Mr. Editor?"

"I think little girls are pigeon-holed into their roles with their dollies and doll houses. The play makes clear we should provide our daughters with gender-neutral toys."

"That is a new insight. Um, if you haven't actually read the play, just say so. No one has read everything. It's okay."

"I read it."

"You're not really Evil Editor, are you?"

"How'd you known?"

"You're not pretty."

--Wouldbe

2 comments:

Dave F. said...

"You're not pretty" -- good punchline.

Robin S. said...

"The play makes clear we should provide our daughters with gender-neutral toys."

Actually, pretty or not, I can see EE saying this just to get the interviewer's proverbial goat. Good one.