Sunday, August 02, 2009

PoetrySub 10

Camping

It was rainy
in Sandusky:
beautiful weather
for a book
a long book
and a blanket—
not for camping.

My Bible got wet.
My shoes, my self
my tent, my head.
My tent leaked right over my face.

We went to the beach;
the water
was cold and dirty.
The beach was stones and shells,
not sand.
I started to draw,
and it started to rain.

It cleared up the next day.
We went to the island.
We stood in a geode;
one story up, we drank grape juice—unfermented.
I bought:
malachite,
apricot agate,
red tiger’s eye,
and amethyst.
$6.76.

The ferry was crowded.
My feet were sore,
and my left had twisted last week.
I sat on the floor.

We woke the next morning
quite late.
I wanted to see
the Maritime Museum.
Some didn’t.
Some did.
Some weren’t very sure.
Three of us went.

The museum wasn’t very big,
but I saw a cannonball.
I learned about pirates,
Confederate pirates,
and the Underground Railroad’s
Lake Erie leg.

A Tale of Despereaux
was showing in the campground
amphitheater.
Someone behind us
was coughing his lungs out.
Often.

We woke up.
We packed.
My nose started dripping.
I went through half a box of Kleenex on the way home.
The rest stop
had port-a-potties;
the one I
dared to view
was full to a foot
from the seat.
Needless to say,
I saved it for
the gas station.

We got home rather late.
It was raining.
So was my nose.
I couldn’t finish dinner,
and I thought I might throw up.
I won’t, but my
hair hasn’t been washed
in five days.
I’ll read over your queries
and mock your beginnings
later.


But
all in all,
the vacation
was pretty good.

--_*Rachel*_

6 comments:

Sarah Laurenson said...

AH hahahahaahahahahaha

This is hilarious and so well done!

Steve Wright said...

I like it. It's got a great feeling of immediacy to it - almost feels like being there. (Which is good, because reading this is so much cheaper and less time-consuming than actually going on holiday myself.)

_*Rachel*_ said...

It's true.
All of it.

A miracle
has occurred:
my cold is gone.
I thought it'd linger,
like it usually does,
and my nose would be clogged,
but it's clean,
and that's
a miracle.

Also,
my Bible's dry.

fairyhedgehog said...

I've been there, done that, and you make it all come alive again. This was very vivid and I liked the way it was written.

Rick Daley said...

I like it. I'm an Ohio native and enjoyed the references to the Geode, Sandusky, et al. Makes me want to catch the Jet Express and get tanked at the Roundhouse.

_*Rachel*_ said...

I walked by
the Roundhouse.
The fountain was nicer
and legal
for me.
But
by then, my feet
hurt.