Sunday, July 18, 2010

Historical Pitch Session 3

Good morning, sir. And my I say, you look quite dashing in your--

Cut to the chase. What's the title?

Dracula.

Christ.

It's the name of the key character.

Who is he? Or she?

He's a vampire.

A what?

He's an undead man who drinks human blood by sucking it from people's throats.

Whattaya mean, "undead"? Is he alive?

Not exactly.

Then he's dead. I get it, you figured no one would read a book about a dead guy so you call him undead. Clever. And I say "clever" in the hope that you recognize sarcasm when you hear it.

Dracula can turn into a bat, has no reflection in mirrors, can only be killed by a stake through his heart, hates garlic--

I love garlic. Ever eaten at Carambas?

No.

Look pal, not to rain on your parade, but I'm looking for memorable characters with staying power. The kind that endure though the ages. Not some gimmicky super villain who'll be forgotten by this time tomorrow. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

--Evil Editor

1 comment:

Angie said...

Thanks for the Monday morning chuckle. Just what I needed, EE.